Carrie Underwood - Temporary Home

Friday, May 7, 2010

Land of Opportunity

In my last post, there was a list of three things that need to happen for the sake of survival.
Find a job. Find a car. Find an apartment.

Well, it now looks like there are some ends in sight to, possibly, all of these. Granted, only time will tell the extent of these options, but it sounds decent right now! Ok, here's the breakdown...

Job?
There are two grads from my alma mater (that so weird to type!) who have been working with a production company that travels to schools across the country doing presentations at their assemblies. They are currently accepting applications for their 2010/2011 tour, which is for ten months (August through May). The position would be titled "technician", which is a bit intimidating, but I would receive training for how to use all of the equipment and be partnered with someone else to travel the country. Food, housing and travel expenses would be completely covered by the production company (including transportation to get home for Christmas), and I would receive a decent income per month in order to save up/pay off loans from the past four years. Travel? Ministry? Youth issues? Ability to pay off loans? I think yes.

Car?
One of my friends studied Automotive Technology, and he is helping me look for a car. Or, rather, I find a car that looks good to the naive college grad, and he checks out the specs and gives his professional and friendly opinion. It's a really good system, actually. Right now, he is checking out a car online that looks like a legitimate option. If this works out, I could be a car owner by the end of the month. Of course, if I become a technician with the production company, a car would not be as important this fall, but certainly still important in the long run. Oh, and I'd have to learn how to drive stick, which is "special"...but you know what? I'd have a car, so, huzzah!

Apartment?
Well, this one hasn't changed a whole lot. I don't really have any prospects, as with the other two issues. However, and this goes back the the job option, if I travel the country for ten months, I may not need to worry so much about finding an apartment until next summer. Granted, idea of moving home after a ten month tour would not be ideal, I may be able to dodge that bullet by working at a camp for two months, or by crashing on a friend's couch. It may not be all bad, but of course, this heavily depends on the whole job thing.

That's the little update on my life. It may seem like a lot, but this really is just a small element to the whole "life after graduation" phase. At least I will be able to enjoy some aspects of the summer with a friend's wedding in early June, a talent showcase in mid-June, and then visiting friends in Colorado in early/mid-July. Needless to say, I am definitely looking forward to those activities, and the individual activities that will take place during those times. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment